Because we care about the well-being of you and your household, we have put together a checklist of winter survival kit you should have in your home and car during this season.
Snowstorms and blizzards can cause delays, disasters, and even death. Therefore, it is vital to prepare yourself for the worst during the colder months.
The winter survival kits can be very convenient if the gas in your car freezes, or you can’t go outside in the event of a polar vortex.
Check out the items below that should be included in your winter survival kit for your home and car.
Home survival kit
- Snow shovels and other snow removal equipment: For removing snow in the walkway or driveway and prevents you from getting out or in
- Bulky clothing like sweaters and blankets for everyone
- Salt, or something to melt ice
- Gas or other heating fuel for the furnace
- Flashlights and spare batteries
- First aid supplies, including necessary medications, band-aids, and personal hygiene items
- Non-perishable food and bottled water for up to 3 days
- Portable chargers with cell phones in case power go off
If you don’t have the time or patience to shop for these items individually, you could buy the kit in a mall or online. Whatever you decide, ensure that you have the necessary equipment to keep you and your family safe.
Car survival kit
There’s nothing as frustrating as being stranded on the road with a non-functioning car. But, with a well-stocked emergency kit, you either get back on the road or at least stay comfortable while you’re waiting for help to arrive.
- Ice scraper and snow brush: For removing snow or ice from your car body and windscreen
- Portable shovel: For digging out your car in case it gets stuck
- Battery booster cables: For reviving your car battery or someone else’s. Keep it charged at all times.
- Basic first-aid kit: it should include pain killers, bandages, etc.
- Helpful items if your stranded: flashlights, extra batteries, roadside triangles, signaling cones, reflective safety vest, etc
- Cell-phone car charger: For your smartphone
- Additional convenient items: In case you get stranded in a snowstorm — wipes, rags, poncho, blanket, gloves, boots, and hat.
- Water and non-perishable food: Bottled water, granola bars, etc.
Since every family has its unique needs, we advise that you customize your winter survival kit to suit your requirements.
AA Restoration intends to help keep you, your family, and your property safe by restoring any form of winter damage during this season.